|Full Name||Douglas Tanner|
|Birth Date||March 23|
|Preferred Weapon||Yithian Lightning Cannon|
|Assignment||Keeping The Vigil|
Douglas Tanner is a man with a mission. An American hailing from Boston, Massachusetts, Douglas had his first run-in with the supernatural during college, and awakened to the power of the Persona during the same. A driven sort, Douglas began searching the continent for truth and a purpose, but did not find it until travelling abroad, visiting Lunarvale... and stumbling into Mikage-cho. Moving to Japan and opening Tanner Imports and Curiousities, by day he plays the role of the mild-mannered shopkeeper... but by night, Douglas stands vigil over the things trying to slither out of the shadowy corners of reality, and is willing to do whatever it takes to allow humanity to see another day.
American Abroad, Linguist, Modern Languages (Many), Ancient Languages (Some), Occult Languages (Enochian, R'lyehan), Mythos Lore (Too Much), Needlessly Aggressive Driving, Well-Connected, Wayward Vagabond, Antiquer, Dark Fate(?), Cat Person, The Truth Is Out There And It's Scary As Hell, SAN Loss Is Just Part Of The Job, If You Can't Take The Cold Get Out Of Kadath, That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie...
Brief Personal History
Douglas is a Massachusetts native whose friends turned out to be murderous cultists and tried to kill him for some sort of evil ritual. He ended up taking a job with the Twenty Traders import/export and shipping company and began to hunt monsters and seek out the supernatural on the side. He had way too much luck in this endeavor for a normal person, and on a "vacation" to Japan, ended up wandering into Mikage-cho. Since then, he's moved to Lunarvale and opened up the local curiosity shop, and occasionally wanders around keeping evil at bay. With a shotgun.
Notable Social Links
None yet. This space for rent.
"From the sea of thy soul I cometh.""I am Ulthar, he of vengeance, keeper of the final vigil."
Douglas's Persona is Ulthar, an Elder God from the Cthulhu Mythos. He is depicted as both a vengeful and watching god in differing sources, calling down suitable punishment for those who break his laws and coming to Earth to stand vigil over the terrible Old Ones and for nothing else. He manifests as an indistinct robed figure wearing a headdress with two curving horns, with a curious disk set in the center and almost feline eyes glowing beneath it's hood and mask.
|Absolute Destiny Apocalypse||Increased magical cost and lowered magical effectiveness to an area.|
|Blaze Strike||Minor slash damage and minor fire damage to one target.|
|Cruel Attack||Major pierce damage to one target.|
|Fire Break||Increased fire damage to one target.|
|Frei||Minor fire damage and minor Almighty damage to one target.|
|Freila||Moderate fire damage and moderate Almighty damage to one target.|
|Freidyne||Heavy fire damage and heavy Almighty damage to one target.|
|Light Smasher||Moderate slash damage and moderate light damage to one target.|
|Megido||Moderate Almighty damage to multiple targets.|
|Rakunda||Lowers vitality of one target.|
Free and Special Attacks
|Electric Attack - Shotgun w/ XREP||Minor electrical damage to one target.|
|Elder Sign||Single-target warding against mystical harm.|
You know how people who walk into desert winds slowly develop a kind of scoring on their face? The kind that can turn to pockmarks, and develop into a type of sand-tan and give them a squint around the corners of their eyes? Douglas's resonance is like that, but for his soul. He's stared into the face of something soul-twisting and mind-bending and lived to walk away, time and time again, and it leaves him with the same kind of aura of awe a veteran gunslinger gives.
People who actually feel his resonance find it a chilly thing, like cold winds in barren mountains that drive away the unwary, or as if something great and ancient has turned it's gaze upon you. Detecting it via smell finds something catlike, mingled with the scent of a recent meal and the underlying tang of spilled blood.
- Courage: 5 - Needlessly Heroic: YOU SHALL NOT PASS
- Diligence: 4 - Thorough: Rule Number Two: Double-tap.
- Expression: 3 - Persuasive: Pretty good salesman, even better liar.
- Understanding: 2 - Kindly: Not everything makes sense, but some people need comfort from the dark.
- Knowledge: 4 - Professor: College-educated.
- Duty: 5 - Heeded The Call: A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
- Mythos Lore: 5 - The Investigator: Way too high for one person's own good.
- Paranoia: 3 - Healthy: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
- Sanity 3 - Slightly Disturbed: Too many tomes makes for an interesting time.
- Weapon: Mossberg 500 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, loaded with XREP rounds. What, you didn't really think they let him app with alien weaponry, did you?
- Body: Brown long coat. Stylish. Possibly armored.
- Feet: Well-worn boots.
- Accessory: Elder Sign, usually in pendant form, somewhere on his person.
Trivia & Facts
- The darkness does, in fact, hit like a God damn truck.
- Douglas has the ability to detect dimensional disturbances, including gateways to Mikage-cho, entrances to the TV World (along with some knowledge of where they'll go in it), and the location of Tartarus and the Abyss of Time in the Dark Hour. Now, actually being in the Dark Hour might be a little uncomfortable...
- Douglas already made an enemy of Anise Thompson, and he only had to punch her in the stomach and steal her gun. Isn't that delightful?
- Speaking of enemies, he doesn't appear to have gotten off on the right foot with Thora Kobayashi or Takahisa Kandori, either. The former appears to be because she's threatened by his height (or maybe just doesn't like competition) and the latter because of... something... that happened in that DDR machine. Mysterious.
- A Normal Life: Sexy Heroes In Transit -- Bluffington Diaries
- The Mythos: Metallica -- The Thing That Should Not Be
- The Vigil: Poets of the Fall -- Locking Up The Sun
There’s power in the night. There’s terror in the darkness. Despite all our accumulated history, learning, and experience, we remember. We remember times when we were too small to reach the light switch on the wall, and when the darkness itself was enough to make us cry out in fear. Get a good ways out from civilization--say, miles and miles away on a lightless lake--and the darkness is there, waiting. Twilight means more than just time to call the children in from playing outside. Fading light means more than just the end of another day. Night is when terrible things emerge from their sleep and seek soft flesh and hot blood. Night is when unseen beings with no regard for what our people have built and no place in what we have deemed the natural order look in at our world from outside, and think dark and alien thoughts. And sometimes, just sometimes, they do things. --The Dresden Files, Turn Coat
Douglas Tanner is an Investigator. He first appeared in the Lunarvale Horror expansion.
Occupation: the Shopkeeper
Home: Curiositie Shoppe
Unique Ability: Keep The Vigil - Upkeep: Once per turn, Douglas may look at the top card of the Mythos deck and then choose to discard it or place it back on top of the deck.
2 Clue tokens
1 Unique Item (Elder Sign)
1 Common Item (Shotgun)
1 Skill (Mythos Lore)
|Speed||1 2 3 4|
|Sneak||4 3 2 1|
|Fight||2 3 4 5|
|Will||4 3 2 1|
|Lore||5 4 3 2|
|Luck||0 1 2 3|